Powerful Advocacy,  Investigation, Negotiation, and Litigation

What should I know about concealed carry laws in Montana?

On Behalf of | Feb 8, 2021 | Criminal Law |

All American citizens have the right to protect themselves with a firearm. When it comes to the concealed carry of weapons, you are also afforded rights in Montana. However, the state requires you to take certain steps before you are permitted to conceal a weapon on your person.

The Montana Department of Justice details the necessary steps to receive a permit to conceal carry. Following these laws ensures you can enjoy your rights without incurring legal trouble.

How to receive a concealed weapon permit

You must meet certain criteria to be considered eligible for a permit. First, you must have been a resident of the state for at least six months. Second, you must either be a citizen of the United States or be designated as a lawful permanent resident. Finally, you must be at least 18 years of age.

To apply, visit your local sheriff’s office and fill out an application. You must provide your full name, address, phone number, past and current employers, and many other forms of information. A background check will also be conducted to determine whether you have a criminal history. Non-residents can use concealed weapons permits issued in other states, providing the issuing state also requires a criminal background check.

Where concealed weapons are not permitted

Regardless of your permit status, there are certain places where you are not permitted to conceal carry a weapon under any circumstances. This includes schools, government buildings (including federal, state, or local agencies), and places where alcohol is dispensed, consumed, and sold. You may need permission to conceal carry on private or public grounds, so be sure to seek out prior clarification if you are unsure.

If you believe your concealed weapons rights were violated, it is best to discuss the issue with legal counsel. Weapon charges can have serious effects, and if you are not at fault you will need help proving your case.